Samuel J. Heller
Samuel J. Heller
Sam Heller has handled complex business litigation almost exclusively throughout his career, winning favorable results in disputes involving tens of millions of dollars. He largely represents closely held businesses, often when they’re facing existential threats in court. Having founded several businesses himself, he’s had extensive experience with the nuts and bolts of running a business—a unique perspective that informs the legal strategies he creates to handle your business problems. Knowing that entrepreneurs are often deeply invested, financially and emotionally in their businesses, he acts as a committed part of your team through difficult legal matters.
Over the course of his career, Sam has handled numerous business disputes with a value in the tens of millions of dollars. In an era when most litigation settles, he has substantial experience pursuing those cases in a court of law, having handled hundreds of trials, including dozens of complex business lawsuits, many of which required trials lasting more than two weeks. In the healthcare field, he has represented clients before state regulatory bodies as well as in state and federal court in matters concerning tens of millions of dollars. In addition, he has acted as an outside general counsel for several clients, which he considers an honor and an act of trust. For one healthcare client, he was called upon to restructure the entire business, including negotiating crucially important payment contracts, creating and implementing processes for basic parts of the business like insurance verification, securing non-traditional financing and more.
Sam is a lifelong Tampa Bay resident, having graduated from high school in St. Petersburg and returned after finishing his education. He’s active with several Tampa Bay-area nonprofits and professional associations, both personally and through his law firms. With Heller Law, that includes sponsoring the 2018 Be Mine fundraiser for the Heart Gallery of Tampa, which works to connect foster children with their forever homes.
- Heller Law, PLLC, St. Petersburg, Florida
- Heller Goldberg, PA, St. Petersburg, Florida
- Broad and Cassel, Tampa, Florida
- Englander & Fischer, PA, St. Petersburg, Florida
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida
- B.A., International Business, Rollins College, Winter Park, Florida
- State Bar of Florida, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, 2005
- 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 2007
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, St. Petersburg Bar Association
- Honorary Commander, MacDill Air Force Base, 927th Air Refueling Wing, Tampa, Florida
- Board of Directors, Community Action Stops Abuse (CASA), St. Petersburg, Florida
- Sponsor, Heart Gallery of Tampa, Be Mine 2018 fundraiser
- Former Board of Fellows, University of Tampa
- Former member, Connect Florida
- Former Board of Directors, High Tech Crime Institute Inc.
- President, Deaf and Hearing Connection for Tampa Bay, 2005-2008